A margarita is hands down one of the best cocktails to make. It’s comforting, refreshing and laid back. Salty or not, we just here to treat ourselves, so I’ve combined it with one of my favorite berries for an amplified taste.
Blackberry margaritas after a long day of work have become a tradition at our bar as soon as we kick off our shoes. Minimal work and ready in just a couple of minutes. This recipe makes 2 cocktails to share with your friend, your significant other, or if you know 1 isn’t enough for yourself. For single-use, it’s a 2,1,1 recipe (2 oz tequila, 1 oz orange liqueur, 1 oz lime juice). I enjoy using Cointreau most of the time, occasionally I’ll use Grand Marnier, but Triple Sec also works along with your tequila.
Feel free to use other berries, raspberries or strawberries are an excellent substitute.
- 1 Pint Fresh Blackberries, Divided in half (If using frozen, thaw ahead of time)
- 4 oz Silver Tequila of your choice *
- 2 oz Cointreau (Other orange-flavored liqueur will work such as Grand Marnier or Triple Sec)
- 2 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- Zest from 2 Limes, Divided
- Lime Wedges or Wheels for Serving
- Kosher Salt for Glass, Optional (If you salty)
Cocktail Shaker, Muddler or Fork for Crushing Fruit, Pairing Knife, Citrus Juicer, Cocktail Jigger, Margarita Glasses, Small Plate for Salt.
- Prepping glasses, if you like a salted rim. Take 1 lime wedge and glide it around the whole rim of the glass. Have a small plate with kosher salt and half of your lime zest mixed in. Gently shake the plate to smooth out salt. Turn the glass upside down and pat in the salt lime mixture, the lime juice will help grab onto the salt. Turn glasses upright and set them aside.
- Fill glasses halfway with ice if you are planning to make them right away.
- In your cocktail shaker, add half of your berries and half of your lime zest in. Using a muddler, crush the blackberries to mix in with the lime zest to get that citrus oil mixed in.
- Fill up cocktail shaker over halfway full of ice.
- Add your silver tequila, orange-flavored liqueur, and fresh lime juice to your cocktail shaker.
- Close shaker securely and shake for a solid 30-40 seconds.
- Gently pour between the 2 glasses, adding some of the ice from the shaker to each glass.
* You can reduce the tequila down to 1 1/2 each margarita for your preference.